‘BIG PICTURE’ HERITAGE CONSULTANCY
Iziko Museums is the largest and oldest museum consortium in South Africa. It comprises a rich diversity of traditional natural and cultural history museums, art galleries, a planetarium, archives, heritage sites, and house museums.
MTE Studios was awarded the tender to develop a concept plan for the thematic contexts at the various museums of Iziko, entitled the ‘BIG PICTURE’ Heritage Consultancy. The plan would be used to inform both permanent and temporary exhibitions, research planning, and fund-raising over the next decade or more.
The project scope included all twelve of the institutions that fall under Iziko Museums of Cape Town, namely:
- Iziko South African Museum (including the Iziko Planetarium)
- Iziko South African National Gallery
- Iziko Michaelis Collection/Old Town House
- Iziko Social History Centre
- Iziko Slave Lodge
- Iziko Bo-Kaap Museum
- Iziko Maritime Centre (including the Marsh Maritime Research Centre and the ship, ‘SAS Somerset’)
- Iziko William Fehr Collection at the Castle of Good Hope (including other exhibition spaces and exhibitions at the Castle)
- Iziko Rust en Vreugd Museum(displaying the William Fehr Collection of artworks on paper)
- Iziko Groot Constantia Manor House (shared with the Groot Constantia Trust)
- Iziko Koopmans-de Wet House
- Iziko Bertram House